Visitors

free counters

6.05.2010

Goal



Greetings All,


This weeks "thought" is another from A.W. Tozer (Sorry, I just like the guy!) Actually, it was Tozer's ordination vow/prayer. His sentiments are always worth reading, but are especially poingent in our market-driven age where unbelievers have often come to be seen as consumers or potential customers, and playing to their likes or dislikes has come to drive the agenda and dictate the content of the messages proclaimed in many a church.



It's a needed reminder for us all, but especially for those in any type of leadership in the church at large or overseas (pastors, elders, teachers, missionaries, etc.) Though it reveals Tozer's spiritual convictions, hopefully it can challange and speak a word to us as well. When I recently heard about a friend who was just ordained, and then stumbled across these words, it brought me to reflect on the convictions I held way back at the time of my own ordination ceremony in 1987. We occasionally need such reminders as well as the time to do personal reflection. Enjoy.



"Lord Jesus I come to You for spiritual preparation. Lay Your hand upon me. Anoint me with the oil of a New Testament prophet. Forbid that I should become a religious scribe and thus lose my prophetic calling.



Save me from the curse that lies dark across the face of modern clergy: the curse of compromise, of imitation, of professionalism. Save me from the error of judging a church by its size, its popularity or the amount of its yearly offering. Help me to remember that I am a prophet--not a promoter and not a religious manager--but a prophet entrusted with a God-given message.



Let me never become a slave to crowds. Heal my soul from a bondage to things. Let me not waste my days puttering around the house. Deliver me from overeating and late sleeping. Lay upon me a sense of reverent fear, O God, and drive me to the place of prayer where I may wrestle with principalities and powers and the rulers of the darkness of this world. Teach me self-discipline that I may be a good soldier of Jesus Christ.”


In His Service, Pastor Jeff