Visitors

free counters

5.20.2011

Comforting


Greetings All,

Most of you know the often quoted first question and answer of the Westminster Larger Catechism: "What is the chief end of man? The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever."

In recent years John Piper suggested it could be ammended to read: "What is the chief end of man? The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying him forever."

But today I offer you the first question and answer of another confession you may not know as well - The Heidelberg Catechism. It is one I have sometimes used as a call to worship, since it is so rich in its expression. I offer it to you who may not be familar with it since the truths it expresses are so beautifully and majestically proclaimed. Enjoy!

"Q. -- What is your only comfort, in life and in death?

A. -- That I belong - body and soul, in life and in death -
not to myself, but to my faithful Saviour,
Jesus Christ, Who at the cost of his own blood,
has fully paid for all my sins,
and has completely freed me
from the dominion of the devil;
That he protects me so well,
that without the will of my Father
in heaven not a hair can fall from my head;
Indeed, that everything must fit his purpose
for my salvation.
Therefore, by his Holy Spirit,
He also assures me of eternal
life, and makes me wholeheartedly
willing and ready from now on to live for him."


It's true. No matter what we are struggling with, it cannot come into our lives unless it has first passed through the filter of God's love for us as His grace-adopted children.
I believe the catechism is right. Everything our sovereign Father permits to enter the life of one of His children "must fit his purpose for (our) salvation."

In the Bonds of Christian Charity, Pastor Jeff