Visitors

free counters

12.13.2016

Treasury of Inspiration

Greetings All!

As we approach the holidays, time -- which always "moves" at the same pace -- seems to kick into a higher gear and go faster!  My perception, I know, and not reality!  Yet, since you may be feeling the same as well, I will simply offer you some quick thoughts to ponder. Read a couple (as you have time), or read them all. They are taken from Herbert V. Prochnow's book, "Treasury of Inspiration." Enjoy!


"A man may go to heaven without health, without riches, without honors, without learning, and without friends, but he can never go there without Christ." 
John Dyer

"The biggest mistake we make is to do nothing out of a fear that we will make one."
Herbert Prochnow

"Only a comparative few recognize opportunity, because it is disguised as hard work."
Herbert Prochnow
"Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne and I myself have founded empires. But upon what do these creations of our genius depend? Upon force. Jesus alone founded His empire upon love; and to this very day millions would die for him."
Napoleon

"In a village cemetery in England there is a monument with these simple words: "To Thomas Cobb, who mended shoes in this village for 40 years to the glory of God."  What a tribute. We know little else about Thomas Cobb, but this simple epitaph speaks volumes. His cobbler's bench was the altar before which he served his God... It is one's high duty to make his occupation his vocation where he can serve to God's glory."
Paul Sturges
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.  Many men owe the greatness of their lives to their tremendous difficulties. Remember that what you possess in the world will be found at the day of your death to belong to another, but what you are will be yours forever." 
Henry Van Dyke

"I have now disposed of all my property to my family. There is one more thing I wish I could give them, and that is my Christian religion. If they had that, and I had not given them one shilling, they would have been rich, and if they had not that, and I had given them all the world, they would be poor." 
Patrick Henry 

"No man ever got lost on a straight road." 
Abraham Lincoln
"Humanity is never so beautiful as when praying for forgiveness, or else forgiving another."
Richter

"There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness." 
H. W. Shaw

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it NOW. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
Anonymous

"Do thy duty, that is best; Leave unto the Lord the rest."
James Russell Lowell

"Only those are crowned and sainted;
Who with grief have been acquainted." 
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Rom. 8:17)

"I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God."
Helen Keller

"A sermon has two purposes. First, it should comfort the afflicted, and second, it should afflict the comfortable. Sometimes it will do the one, and sometimes the other." 
John Homer Miller
"More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of. 
Whereof, let thy voice rise like a fountain for me night and day.
For what are men better than sheep or goats,
That nourish a blind life within the brain,
If, knowing God, they lift not hands of prayer,
Both for themselves and those who call them friend?"
Alfred Tennyson

May you have a Christ-focused Christmas, Pastor Jeff